How Bitwarden passwordless can enhance your online security and convenience
Bitwarden passwordless is a feature that enables you to access your Bitwarden vault without relying on your Bitwarden password. Instead, you can use other ways of verifying your identity, such as:
What are the advantages of Bitwarden passwordless?
By switching to Bitwarden passwordless, you can enjoy several benefits for both yourself and your business. Bitwarden passwordless can help you:
- Improve security: Passwordless authentication eliminates the risk of password theft, phishing, credential stuffing, and remote attacks. It also strengthens the encryption of your vault data and prevents unauthorized access.
- Save time and money: Passwordless authentication reduces the time and effort you spend on creating, remembering, and typing passwords. It also lowers the IT costs associated with password policies and reset support tickets.
- Enhance user experience: Passwordless authentication simplifies and streamlines the login process for you and your customers. You don't need to deal with password frustration anymore. You can use one-tap login, biometrics, or passkeys instead.
- Innovate with technology: Passwordless authentication is the future of online security and privacy. Bitwarden is leading the way in developing new technologies for customers to adopt passwordless workflows and an end-to-end passwordless experience.
How does it work?
Depending on the method you choose, Bitwarden passwordless works differently. Here are some examples:
- Trusted devices: You can use a second device, such as your smartphone or desktop app, to approve a login request from another device, such as your web browser. You will see a fingerprint phrase on both devices that you need to match before approving the request. This ensures that the communication is encrypted and secure.
- Biometrics: You can use your fingerprint, face recognition, or other biometric features to unlock your Bitwarden mobile app or desktop app. This way, you don't need to enter your password every time you want to access your vault.
- Hardware security keys: You can use a physical device, such as a USB key or a smart card, that supports the FIDO2 WebAuthn standard to authenticate your Bitwarden login. This adds an extra layer of protection against phishing and credential stuffing attacks.
- Single Sign-On (SSO) solutions: You can integrate your existing SSO system with Bitwarden and use your SSO credentials, tokens, or other passwordless entry points to access your Bitwarden vault. This simplifies the login process and reduces the number of passwords you need to remember.
- Passkeys (coming soon): You can use passkeys, which are unique and secure identifiers that replace passwords, to log in to Bitwarden and other websites and apps that support them. You can store your passkeys in your Bitwarden vault and sync them across your devices.
How can you get started?
To get started with Bitwarden passwordless, you need to:
Download and install the Bitwarden desktop app or mobile app and log in there.
In the Settings, turn on the Approve login requests option in the Security section (off by default).
Choose the passwordless method that suits you best and configure it accordingly. For example, if you want to use biometrics, enable the Unlock with Biometrics option in the Security section.
Enjoy your passwordless experience with Bitwarden!
For more information on how to set up and use Bitwarden passwordless, check out these resources: